Limitations and Scope of Practice
Somananda Tantra School’s Tantra Teacher Training Course (Tantra TTC) is designed specifically to prepare you to become a teacher of sexual and relationship Tantra.
Upon completion of this course you will have:
- Clear guidelines on the extent and scope of your teaching boundaries and limits
- Approved content that you are spiritually authorized and permitted to share and teach under the Somananda Tantra TTC program as well as a teacher initiation
- Empowerment invocation from a self-realized yogi who carries the blessing and experience of a lineage
Therefore, as a Tantra TTC graduate, you are a Tantra teacher but NOT a Yoga teacher, meditation teacher or Tantra Massage teacher. This is an important distinction and one we hope you will honor and respect carefully.
To become an authentic teacher in other disciplines of the Tantra system requires that you complete the designated Teacher Training Course of that discipline.
You need always to be in integrity with your level of competency and achievement and avoid stepping outside of your scope of practice and terms of your “licensure”. By doing so you will not only be successful in your teaching endeavors but remain faithful to the guru-disciple tradition.
A Tantra teacher is unable to be a powerful and influential teacher unless he or she has a consistent daily spiritual practice of their own. He or she will never be able to broadcast the high truths that they are sharing without making Yoga practice part of their everyday life. Even 15 minutes a day of meditation, sun salutations or Hatha Yoga, would be beneficial. 45-60 minutes per day, however, is highly recommended and encouraged.
A Tantra teacher should never teach with carelessness or apathy. Contrarily, he or she should teach to their maximum capacity and full potential. A teacher should always teach with passion, excitement and enthusiasm.
- A Tantra teacher should never allow him or herself to be improper or negligent, distracted or unfocused, or excessively “chummy” with students in courses. This is not to say a teacher needs to be cold or strict. He or she can still be very warm and friendly to students while maintaining professionalism and respectability.
- Keeping the level of a teacher. Clear, established boundaries should be upheld between the teacher and the student. The teacher should be the focal point of the group and be respected as a person of authority – not for the purpose of arrogance or ego but simply because the teacher is a channel of divine energy and the emitter of sacred knowledge. A teacher should never allow him or herself to be on the same level as the students.
- Polite manners. A Tantra teacher should always speak in a polite manner. Avoid cursing or using vulgar or obscene language as this can diminish the quality of the course and reduce the energetic resonance that the teacher has established.
- Purity and virtue. Where sexuality is concerned a teacher should always maintain a state of purity and virtue. At no time should a teacher be sexually forward with students, flirtatious, advancing, or seducing in any way. There should be no sexual innuendos of any kind or any low-grade behavior that gives the impression that he or she is sleazy, horny or trashy in any way.
- Sexual conduct. A Tantra teacher MUST commit to avoid completely engaging sexually with a student during a course.
- A Tantra teacher must remain pure and humble at all times – these are the virtues that bring value to a teacher.
- A Tantra teacher must never insult a student – even if a student has treated you badly, insulted you, teased you, embarrassed you or was negative in any way – a teacher must always be able to absorb these situations and circumstances and behave in a professional and detached way.
- Avoiding confrontation. Never prompt, initiate or participate in an argument or disagreement. Due to modern times many students that attend these courses come with many issues, agendas, problems, impurities, anger, agitation and it can be directed to you as the teacher. Absorb, redirect and avoid confrontation.
- Purity on all levels. You must maintain an image of a pure individual – physically, mentally, emotionally, sexually, and spiritually. Always wear clean clothes, shower regularly, uphold a nice, clean and physically aesthetic appearance.
- Do not deviate or stray from the original teachings as learned through Somananda Tantra School. Avoid improvisation of the teachings – do not modernize or personalize the teachings. Pass the knowledge in its original format.
- Accepting limitations of your knowledge. If at any time a specific question is beyond your scope of understanding or knowledge then remain humble and simply tell the student you will need to consult with your teacher or guru to be able to accurately answer that specific question. Or refer the student directly to Somananda or Liisa for answers.
- Loyalty to guru and the lineage. Be loyal to your guru or teacher and acknowledge your lineage. Give credit where credit is due. When a person presents teachings or knowledge as his or her own, this is an act of the ego. By doing this your empowerment will be weakened and can even diminish completely. Be proud of your lineage and always act in accordance with the will of the divine.
By signing this document I confirm that I have understood and will comply with all of the above statements and requirements. I recognize that my failure to do so may result in withdrawal of my Tantra Teacher Certificate and initiation.